Everyone loves puppies; they’re cute, friendly and of course- lovable. Plus, they’re incredibly therapeutic – owning a dog has been proven to help reduce anxiety, depression, and loneliness. So, this article will focus on why you should get a dog as a family pet!
So, without further ado…
Why Dogs Make Good Family Pets!
● According to Dogarooni a dog training blog. They teach kids responsibility – Owning a dog isn’t as simple as it seems. They need to be fed, walked, bathed, brushed and played with. When your kids care for a dog, they will learn what it feels like to have a living creature rely on them. A sense of empathy will be instilled in them, and they will learn the importance of commitment and consistency. The habits of responsibility they cultivate when taking care of a dog will benefit them greatly later in life.
● They help with anxiety and depression – Dogs have been proven to have a tremendously positive effect on their owners’ anxiety and depression. Kids and adults who own a dog tend to be less anxious and socially withdrawn. Furthermore, kids who own a dog have a higher rate of attendance at school and tend to work harder than kids who don’t own any pets.
● They keep you healthy – Dogs need to be walked at least once or twice a day, sometimes more! Plus, they’re very energetic as puppies and love to run around and play. Skip going to the gym and hating every second of it, walking and playing with your dog is plenty of exercises.
● They reduce the risk of allergies in kids – Kids who were exposed to dogs at a young age are proven to have a lower risk of developing allergies as compared to children who were not exposed to dogs at a young age. While the science behind this has not yet been understood, researchers theorize that since dogs tend to lick kids while playing with them, these kids are exposed to foreign bacteria at a young age, and their immune system is conditioned to be highly adaptable, thus conferring them resistance to allergens.
● They help families bond better – Surprisingly, having a dog can help your family grow closer together. This is because a dog typically ends up being the focus of activities families can do together. Everyone chips in to care for the pup. For example, you can all gather to bathe and groom him, play with him or walk him.
● They encourage nurturing qualities – Nurturing qualities don’t come naturally to people; we have to learn to develop it. Having a dog is an excellent way to learn how to be nurturing, as it takes a lot of time to properly care for a dog. This is particularly the case for children, as kids have very few avenues to learn how to be nurturing and caring.
● They help with learning – For children with learning disabilities, or even adults who are trying to perfect a new skill, a dog can provide non-judgemental support. It has been proven that people are most comfortable practicing something they’re not good at in front of their dog, probably because dogs offer unconditional love and acceptance.
As you can see, owning a dog comes with a whole host of benefits. After all, there is a reason they’re called “man’s best friend”!